Most Associations have standing committees (usually with a Charter) while others are ad-hoc or temporary. All associations have some type of design review function that usually has special decision-making powers compared to other committees. The Rancho Viejo South Association has Design Review, Public Safety, Budget & Finance, Communications, Landscaping, Nominations, and Townhome “Committees”. The Communications Committee has the only Chair who is paid for services ($500 x 6 issues = $3000/yr). In 2013, there was an ad-hoc committee that was addressing Infrastructure and Irrigation upgrades until the President disbanded it with no notice, despite warnings from 2 board members that Ranchland Utilities might seek alternatives detrimental to all of Rancho Viejo (see Irrigation).
The association’s original governing documents required 2 members of the board to be liaisons, so that there would be some oversight, and to allow committees to bring motions to the Board of Directors that would not require a “second” (to save time). Several years ago, the BOD changed the number of liaisons to 1, so each committee has one liaison. In addition, the current president insists that she must attend every committee meeting, even though this is not required. Some Chairs have resigned because of micro-management.
Committees of “1”:
- Public Safety – Board Liaison: Jim Kerr, no Chair, no members (application denial)
- Landscaping – Board Liaison: Jonnalyn Grover, no Chair, no members
- Budget and Finance – Board Liaison: Jim Bailey, Co-Chairs: Carl & Penny Baldwin resigned, no members
- Townhome – Board Liaison: TBA, Carolyn Brown/Chair, no members
- Nominations – Board Liaison: Bernie Paiz, members: Tom Justus, Chris Schatzman, Glen Smerage
- Infrastructure Task Force: Board Liaison: Bernie Paiz
committees that receive payments:
- Communications – Board Liaison: TBA, Paid members: Anne and Lee Lefton